Holidays and travel (Asthma)

12) Travel outside the European Union

Outside_EUSome countries outside Europe have an agreement to provide emergency medical treatment to people from the UK. You will be treated in the same way as a resident of the country you are in, although this may not cover all the things you would get for free on the NHS. The high commission, consulate or embassy of the country you are visiting should be able to give you information on the health care services available. More information on this can be found at the Department of Health website.

There can be also be unforeseen costs of falling ill, for example living expenses and the cost of being flown back to the UK. These costs can also apply to your travel companion.

Try to arrange your travel insurance before booking your holiday, just in case you get ill before you travel. People who have a chronic illness can find travel insurance more expensive. Companies are often reluctant to insure patients for travel to countries where healthcare is expensive, for example, the USA and Canada, or for trips that involve long flights, such as to Australia or New Zealand.


It is very important that you have adequate private travel insurance. Make sure this will cover your lung condition and any other long term health problems. In non EU countries you will have to pay the full cost of any healthcare that you have if you become ill.

Some insurance providers may ask you to have an assessment by one of their own doctors before they will give you insurance.

Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland can provide information on sympathetic insurance companies that may be cheaper.