Asthma, holidays and travel

5) Insurance

travel_insuranceArrange full travel insurance as early as possible before going away.

  • It is up to you to make sure that you inform the insurance company of your child’s medical history and answer all their questions honestly. Check that your insurance policy covers all of your child’s asthma and any other medical conditions. Withholding information may make your insurance invalid.
  • It is important to have travel insurance as it will protect you against having to pay huge medical bills if your child or someone in the family are unwell or have an accident while abroad.
  • Take your insurance documents away with you, and keep them in a safe place. When travelling keep them in your hand luggage.
  • If you are planning to take more than one trip an annual  travel insurance policy is often more cost effective.
  • If you are going on holiday in Europe you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This entitles you to free or reduced cost medical treatment if your child is ill when travelling in Europe. It is not a replacement for travel insurance.

CHSS cannot make any specific recommendations but does have contact details for companies known to be  sympathetic to people affected by chest illness.