Wheeze and your child

4) What treatment will my child need? Relievers

Girl using an aerochamber

Girl using an aerochamber

Your doctor or nurse may prescribe an inhaler called Salbutamol.

Salbutamol belongs to a group of medications called ‘bronchodilators’, these are usually blue in colour and often referred to as ‘reliever’ inhalers.

This inhaler contains a medicine to relax or open the airways and relieve the wheezy symptoms.


It is important this medicine is always given using a spacer device with or without a mask depending on your child’s age and ability. Your doctor or nurse should show you and your child how to use this correctly.